If you’re like me and you have no (as in, NO) time to cook after a long day, maintaining variety as well as a healthy selection of dinners can be pretty tough. I went through a stage where I was resorting to salads for dinner due to time constraints. Chicken, tuna, chicken, tuna.. and so the list goes on.
Cold, crunchy salad only satisfies for so long, and you start craving healthy yummy warm dishes again (As does the husband) so I’ve set out to learn to make some creative, new dishes that are low carb too. Bonus – from start to finish this dish doesn’t take me longer than 20 minutes (a few minutes extra to make a salad or cook veg.. but I get my hubby to do that 🙂
Ingredients: (in order of cooking them)
4 x chicken breasts
Salt / pepper
1 teaspoon garlic
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 x tin chopped tomatoes
A sprinkle of chilli flakes
Sweet basil or fresh.. I just don’t have fresh
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
White Cheddar or Mozzarella
- Fry the breasts in coconut oil or a medium of your choice, adding salt and pepper as well as Italian herbs (as pictured). Fry on each side for 5-7 minutes. When you turn to the other side, repeat the salt, pepper and Italian herbs.
- Once nearly cooked through, take out the pan and place on a plate.
- Add garlic and balsamic vinegar to remaining coconut oil in the pan and fry for a minute or two
- Add can of tomato and sprinkle with the chilli flakes.
- Add sweet basil and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes
- Add Worcestershire sauce
- Place chicken breasts back in the pan, sprinkling with some more Italian herbs. Simmer on a lower heat for two minutes
- Add slices of cheese to the top of each chicken breast and put a lid on the pan for a few minutes while you get your plates and cutlery ready. Dish when cheese is all melted!
This dinner kind of makes me feel like I’m in Italy. You get a taste of the long lost carb-full pizza we are crave!